Session Preparation
| Beholder and Blue dragon I painted |
Life as an adult gamer often means long gaps between sessions. Between work, family, and unexpected life events, schedules inevitably shift. This time, it was my own schedule as a DM that caused a delay, but now, as I prepare for tomorrow's session, the anticipation is building. We left off right after the party discovered the secret door to Renchefus’s chamber.
Heading into tomorrow, the party is wounded and low on resources. To add to the complexity, one of my players is absent. To maintain continuity, the remaining three players are controlling the missing player’s character using their sheet and miniature. This presents a classic DM dilemma: do I run the encounter exactly as written in the module, or do I adjust it to fit the party's current weakened state?
I have decided to run the encounter as written. My philosophy is that adjusting encounters to coddle the players makes the world feel artificial. These are serious, veteran roleplayers with 30 years of experience; they don't expect to be "stroked with the hair." They want an authentic world where actions have natural consequences. They know the risks—they have the option to retreat if they are low on resources, and if they choose to press on, they do so with full awareness of the danger.My job as a DM is not to balance the math on the fly, but to master the NPCs and monsters they face. I need to understand their motivations, tactics, and limitations. I have been utilizing The Monsters Know What They’re Doing by Keith Ammann for this process. While written for 5e, the tactical mindset is directly applicable to AD&D 2nd Edition. Even though 2e monsters lack 5e’s modern stat blocks, the Monstrous Manual provides the insights into strengths, weaknesses, and behaviors I need. To ensure immersion, I have kept the Dwarven Forge setup from our last session intact, so we can jump straight back into the action on the same terrain.
What Happened at the Table
The session kicked off with the confrontation against the lord of the Broken Spire Keep, Renchefus of Cyric. The party of four (level 4) faced 6 zombies, 2 orcs, and the evil priest himself. The fight went smoothly; despite their wounds and depleted resources, the party handled the encounter without major issues.
![]() |
| Ranchefus battle. WoTC all rights |
Following the defeat of Renchefus, Cedric, the Paladin of Lathander, took it upon himself to cleanse the keep's small chapel. Assisted by their new ally, Drokki (a cleric of Clangeddin Silverbeard), they cleansed the space and cast a Bless spell to banish the evil. The party also showed respect for life by removing the bodies from the keep and burying them outside, for which I awarded bonus XP.
The players thoroughly looted the keep before moving on, uncovering the secret tunnel in the study (Room 25). To add flavor to the somewhat "story-driven" tunnel travel, I described signs of recent traffic: burned-out torches, food scraps, empty wineskins, and discarded clothing—hints that bandits were transporting prisoners through these routes. I also improvised a hidden exit about 500 meters north of the river, between the Broken Spire Keep and the Garlstone Mines. As they exited via a narrow tunnel with carved footholds, the fresh night air and the sight of Milborne about 1km away provided a stark, welcome contrast to the oppressive tunnel atmosphere. They ultimately decided to return to Milborne to rest, despite the risk of the trail for Nyssa (Jalenneth) going cold.
Last nights session; my advanced combat tracking system on the right
DM Reflection
The fight against Renchefus was surprisingly easy. Given that both zombies and orcs suffer from high THAC0, they struggled to land hits on the players. In hindsight, I could have increased the difficulty by adjusting their stats, but not every fight needs to be a life-or-death struggle.
Regarding the tunnels: I find this part of the adventure design a bit weak. These endless tunnels under Haranshire are clearly transport routes for the bandits, but it can feel too "on rails." By adding environmental cues (trash, torches) and the shortcut to the surface, I tried to ground the experience in the reality of the game world rather than just moving from narrative point A to B. This gave the players a hint about what these tunnels are used for.
Lessons Learned
Planning Scope: Don't over-prepare. While prepping past the mines wasn't a total loss, it was unnecessary. Focus on the immediate area to stay agile.
Module Critique: Don't be afraid to add your own "life" to the adventure. If the module's tunnel exploration feels purely story-driven, add sensory details and tactical shortcuts to make the world feel like a physical place that exists independently of the plot.
NPC Logic: Understanding the monsters' true tactical potential is key. Use the Monstrous Manual to identify their strengths, not just their HP.

AI generated picture of our heroes fighting Ranchefus
Player Decisions & Surprises
Personal Story Arcs: I am actively weaving personal story arcs into the campaign. I look for opportunities in backgrounds, player actions, or NPC interactions.
Beryglus’s Fate: Beryglus created his own story arc the moment he picked up the ring from the skeleton in Room 20 (a-c). As a closer to the session, I gave him a dream: he was in an endless, hot, and humid jungle, completely lost and alone. It provided no info, but it created suspense and investment—essential for a player to truly feel connected to their character.
The Paladin’s Piety: Cedric’s decision to cleanse a chapel dedicated to a god other than his own (Lathander) was a fantastic roleplay moment. I rewarded this with XP and plan to use this act to further develop his personal narrative.
Consequences & Forward Impact
The decision to return to Milborne instead of pushing to the Garlstone Mines carries weight. The trail for Nyssa is growing colder, but their return to town offers me a chance to reintroduce the disappearance of Samheis—someone they already have a relationship with. I plan for this event to occur while they are in Milborne tonight, giving them a genuine opportunity to save a victim if they prioritize the Garlstone Mines first thing in the morning.
Session 5 – Assault on Broken Spire Keep | Dwarven Forge, Backstabs & DM Lessons

Comments
Post a Comment